Nell Johns was loved by many: her husband of more than 46 years, her two children, her grandchildren and much of her Waycross, Georgia community. Tragically, her life was cut short when she was exposed to deadly chemical fumes due to the negligence of another, resulting in her death.

On January 10, 2001, a contractor used a chemical mastic remover during a renovation project in the same building where Nell worked. The contractor, among other things, negligently applied the mastic remover, failed to ventilate the building for the fumes that were created from the mastic remover and neglected to adequately warn the building’s occupants about the dangers and hazards from the fumes that were produced.

The chemical fumes accumulated overnight, and when Nell arrived to work early the morning of January 11, 2001, she was overcome with fumes and was immediately taken to the hospital. She died two weeks later.

After more than four years of diligent legal work on this very difficult case, Terrell Hogan attorneys Alan M. Pickert, Christopher G. Burns and Evan J. Yegelwel were able to resolve the case for the Johns family for $750,000. “It was never about the money,” Mr. Johns said. “It was about making the people who did this to Nell and to us admit their actions. They never accepted blame or offered a dime for over four years. Luckily, Alan just kept coming after them until they finally admitted their wrongdoing.  We are very grateful for the work the firm did for us.”